European Christian Pilgrim’s Badge, 14th-15th Century
Good quality, probably for a noble owner. Silvered bronze, just under 3/4” diameter, hand engraved with border and a double Jerusalem cross with "crutches" at the beam ends representing five crosses in one, commemorating the five wounds of Jesus. The cross is also known as the Crusader's cross, having been an element in the arms of Godfrey Bouillon which he wore during the First Crusade. Godfrey of Bouillon was a Frankish Knight of the First Crusade, known as Baron of the Holy Sepulcher and the Crusader King, ruler of the Kingdom of Jerusalem following its victorious siege in the First Crusade. Interestingly, the cross is flanked by crescents, the symbol of the Ottoman Empire. In 1204, Constantinople was captured by the armies of the fourth Crusade and occupied as a fortified city. By the beginning of the 14th century it and its environs were surrounded by the Ottoman Empire. The crescents on this badge were homage to the Ottoman Empire and likely carried the grant of safe passage suggesting a noble or royal owner. Professionally refurbished with the pure silver overlay restored and gift boxed with certificate of authenticity.